Panel Member Applications Now Open
From Auckland Council:
Applications open for Rainbow Communities’ Advisory Panel
Auckland Council is inviting applications for positions for the first term of the Rainbow Communities’ Advisory Panel.
The purpose of the advisory panel is to provide strategic advice on issues of significance and help the council engage effectively with Auckland’s gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) communities and stakeholders.
Councillor Cathy Casey, who will be the liaison councillor for the panel, said a Rainbow Communities’ Advisory Panel was overdue. “It’s important this part of the community feels engaged and well represented. We want to make sure we have a very colourful Rainbow panel.”
She added: “It is interesting our initiative in establishing the panel coincides with the Lonely Planet’s new guide, Guide to Pride, which rates Auckland among the world’s most gay-friendly cities.”
Applicants, who must be permanent New Zealand residents and live in Auckland, will be assessed on how they demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to think strategically and critically on issues and trends specific to their area of interest
- Knowledge of the main issues for Rainbow communities, as well expertise in one or more issues of particular relevance/significance for those communities
- Sound understanding of community perspectives, dynamics, key organisations and networks
- Experience of a governance and advisory role.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by a selection panel comprising Councillor Casey, a senior council manager, and three members of the community with appropriate expertise.
Applications are open from 9 June 2015 to 24 June 2015.
Application forms are available online from www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/advisorypanels and from council libraries and customer service centres.
Completed forms should be emailed to ACadvisorypanels@madison.co.nz or posted to Madison Recruitment Ltd, PO Box 105 675, Auckland 1143.
The appointed panel will comprise 10-13 members who will be paid a meeting fee of $250 (less withholding tax). The panel will meet six weekly.
For further information on the role of advisory panels visit the council website or call 09 3010101 (from 9 June).
- Rainbow communities is a term that covers the diversity of sexual orientations and gender/sex identities. It is inclusive of, but not exclusive to: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, Intersex, Takataapui, Whakawahine, Vakasalewalewa, Fakaleiti, Tangata Ira Tane, Tongzhu, Mahu, Palopa, Fa’afafine, Akavaine, Fakafifine, Queer, Questioning, Asexual, Genderqueer, Pansexual, and Genderfluid.