Your ideas for links across Papakura
With Papakura one of the fastest growing areas in Auckland and will continue to do so once the Unitary Plan goes live August 19, the need for good and efficient links across the Papakura area is a must.
Thus Papakura Local Board is seeking your feedback on the Papakura Greenways Plan.
From Our Auckland
Papakura Local Board wants your input on which routes could become walkways and cycleways as it develops a greenways plan for Papakura.
Feedback on the draft plan is now open and will close 7 August 2016.
The draft plan shows where greenways routes may be constructed over the coming years and the local board wants the public to help tell them if those connections are right, has it missed anything and what the community would like to see included.
Greenways are a ‘joined up’ network of cycling, walking and ecological routes through parks and quiet, low traffic streets and intended to provide safe and enjoyable ways for people to get around, get active, and get engaged with the community and their environment.
The routes are supported by environmental improvements, such as planting and water quality upgrades.
Among the benefits of a successful greenway plan are:
- Safer, more appealing routes for people walking and cycling throughout our parks and reserves
- Slower vehicle speeds and improved appearance of those parts of the network that occur on streets
- Planting improvements, particularly around stream corridors and the coast
- Improved wayfinding signage
- Easier walking and cycling access to council facilities, reducing vehicle use.
The Papakura Greenways Plan will support the process of seeking funding to build the routes and complement plans for other communities across Auckland.
To have your say go to shapeauckland.co.nz or attend one of two open day sessions on Saturday 30 July 2016:
- 9.30am-11.30am: Sir Edmund Hillary Library, 209 Great South Rd, Papakura
- 12.30pm-2.30pm: Takanini Hall, 8 Takanini Rd, Takanini.
If you are from the Papakura area PLEASE have your say on this. I will be with having a young family that would enjoy these green links across the Papakura area.
Feedback closes on the 7th of August.