What is this about?
I am going to give this some more sunlight as it seems a Ratepayers Association is acting Secret Squirrel rather than open and transparent.
Below is the opening to the Piha Village Voice blog post on a West Auckland Ratepayers Association:
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS . . .
WHAT’S THAT SECRET YOU’RE KEEPING
You might think democracy in New Zealand looks like this:
- NZ Government > Auckland Council > Local Board > You and Me
Not so . . . there are layers you probably do not even know about and it looks like this:
- NZ Government > Auckland Council > Local Board > Combined Waitakere Residents & Ratepayers Group > Piha Residents & Ratepayers Group> You and Me
The combined Waitakere Residents & Ratepayers Group meets bi-monthly.
- NONE of us can attend – it is a closed meeting.
- There are no published minutes.
- ONLY committee members of Residents & Ratepayers Groups can attend and ONLY 2 from each R&R can speak.
- Oh, wait a minute … there is ONE exception! The Chair of this group is Kubi Witten-Hannah, of Karekare, who is not an elected member of any R&R but he Chairs (controls) the entire meeting.
- Not all Waitakere groups attend but ‘they’ still call themselves the Combined Waitakere R&R Group
- Elected representatives are invited eg: Local Board members and Ward Councillors –
- I’ve not heard of Ward councillors attending (Hulse & Cooper) but Local Board Members regularly attend and if not give their apologies.
What do they talk about ? (Good question!)
Source and full post: http://villagevoice.co.nz/behind-closed-doors/
Hmmm with them and the Waitakere Ranges Local Board acting odd I think some sunlight needs to be shone on both to get some transparency into the matter
Because there is nothing wrong with asking for this if a group claims to represent you:
- The Minutes of these meetings be made public and
- How many members each R&R group have (audited)