Report due back mid-2016
From Auckland Council
Port Future Study consultants appointed
A consortium of independent consultants has been selected to identify and evaluate options for the long term future of the port.
Announced today, the multidisciplinary consortium has experience in specialities across environmental, marine, cultural, iwi relations, infrastructure, economics and strategic port planning sectors.
It is led by professional services firm EY and includes Aurecon, GHD, Black Quay, eCoast, JLL New Zealand and Jasmax.
Dr Rick Boven, Port Future Study Independent Chair, says a sub-group of the port study’s Consensus Working Group (CWG) evaluated and selected the consortium after a robust, competitive and open two-stage procurement process.
“The consortium’s work will be guided by the Port Future Study scope, agreed to in September, to provide a thorough analysis of options for the future of the port. The final report will provide the evidence base for the recommendations that the CWG will make to Auckland Council by the end of June 2016.
“The consortium’s work begins immediately and will be completed by May 2016 when its final report is provided to the CWG.
“The CWG will work with the consortium to guide and understand their work so that when the consultant’s report is received, the CWG’s members are well-placed to develop their recommendations to council.
“In addition, the CWG will also continue to meet regularly and work with a range of information to build their collective understanding of the issues,” says Dr Boven.
Mayor Len Brown initiated the independent Port Future Study in April 2015 to ensure Aucklanders understand the issues and have a real opportunity for input into future decision making on Auckland’s port.
More information, including the Port Future Study scope, is available at portfuturestudy.co.nz.
- The total cost for the consultants work has been capped at $600,000. This is from an estimated total project budget of between $1.043 million to $1.143 million over two years.
- EY is a global professional services organisation.
- Aurecon is a global consulting, engineering, management and specialist technical services firm.
- GHD is a professional services company providing engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services in the water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation sectors.
- Black Quay is a specialist maritime consultancy offering key port planning, design, advisory and business management skills.
- eCoast Ltd is a New Zealand based marine consulting and research company providing environmental, engineering and advanced computer modelling expertise.
- JLLNew Zealand is a global professional services and investment management firm specialising in real estate services, commercial property and investment management.
- Jasmax is a New Zealand based company specialising in architecture, master-planning, interior design, landscape architecture, building conservation, urban design and environmentally-sustainable design.