Night club fined for blocking smoke detectors
From Auckland Council:
Nightclub fined for blocking smoke detectors
Auckland Council has welcomed a decision to fine a nightclub operator for covering smoke detectors in its building.
The BB Nightclub in Auckland Central was fined $4000 in the Auckland District Court last week after pleading guilty to covering 15 smoke detectors with plastic covers.
Auckland Council inspectors found the smoke detectors covered during an inspection in October 2014. This meant that the fire alarm system was unusable and the building was unsafe for use.
The nightclub was charged under section 116B (1)(a) of the Building Act 2004 for the unsafe building.
Auckland Council’s Manager Compliance – Building Control, Wolfgang Nethe, says the fine is a reminder that covering a smoke detector can have serious impacts on the performance of fire alarm systems and the safety of buildings.
“These systems are designed to keep people safe and it is everyone’s responsibility to make sure they are compliant with the Building Act. The consequences of having an alarm system that doesn’t work properly could be fatal.”