October now the start date
I always appreciate the time and effort Transport Blog give in posting on the Auckland Transport Board agenda and reports that occur monthly. If ever one wanted a quick summary rather than wading through reams of material the post would be a good place to start (AT December Board Meeting).
One thing I picked up on and ironically it only took Auckland Transport 24 hours to catch my attention (see: Taking a Break: Will Be Back in March/April) was updates on the New South Auckland Bus Network due to start July 2016. Err that was the start date after being pushed from May 2016 originally.
Well we have this now:
- Hibiscus Coast – Patronage has grown by 15% since implementation in October.
- South Auckland – Tenders are still being evaluated and expected to be announced early 2016. The go-live for the network is now not till October 16.
- West Auckland – Tenders will go out in early 2016
- North Shore – The analysis and any recommended changes from the consultation held earlier this year is also expected early next year.
- Central and East Auckland – They say they’re undertaking a parking/ prefeasibility study at Meadowbank and Orakei stations to investigate the potential demand for a feeder bus to Meadowbank station.
Puhinui Station upgrade was completed in November. That would put just Takanini and Te Mahia as stations that haven’t been upgraded (I’ve excluded Westfield as that is due to close).
Source: AT December Board Meeting
So the New Network for South Auckland is delayed now until October 2016. It is believed the delay is tied into the opening of the Otahuhu Interchange which I saw under construction the other day:
Apologies for the picture as was taken from my train back from Town Hall on Tuesday.
After a flying start when Auckland Transport came to South Auckland in 2013 consulting the community and adapting the new network to our feedback it seems to have gone to custard ever since with delays after delays after well delays.
That is twice now the New Network has been delayed both owing to Otahuhu and often the Manukau Interchanges being delayed themselves for various reasons.
Wonder what delays we might roll across next year
Oh and Auckland Transport we are still waiting for you to drop the sawtooth design in Manukau that no one but you wants…